Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Hint of Normality

We've got Carlos back, and in more or less working condition. He's pretty sure that the Timberwolves were drugging him in there, to keep him unconscious for most of the time. Why? We don't really know. He says he doesn't remember much beyond them taking some blood samples from him. Think he's gonna go visit an actual fucking doctor tomorrow, just to make sure nothing is terribly wrong.

But it's always something isn't it?

Still... I think was a very good day. It's been... God, it feels like ages, since we've had a day of relative normalness. We, well Carlos, got asked today if we were ever going to start up another little magic show for the local kids. We hadn't really thought about doing something like that since this all started. So we discussed it, and immediately set up an impromptu show. Nothing terribly fancy by Carlos standards, given both of our conditions, but it was a show. The usual group of kids and students dropped by to watch. It was... Nice. It was fun for a change. I still don't know the names of anyone in the regular audience, but I know their faces and usual clothes. I doubt they know my name either, I'm just the assistant after all. I hold stuff, carry stuff, and occasionally "teleport" through the College's hidden trapdoors on the stage.

Corvin may be a creepy, weird, asshole, but he clearly isn't stingy when it comes to throwing his money at the College. We do seriously have a stage fit for a Magician. There is an entire basement level down there, that was almost unused.

Of course... We did have one new audience member. Fancier dressed than most, older too I think. Not the ideal audience member either. Never claps, or cheers, or laughs or gives any sort of reaction whatsoever beyond staring blankly at us. I'm just glad he didn't ruin things for us. God help us, we needed something good like that to happen. It's a reminder that not everything is fucking awful, that there is some normalness out there. It is what we aspire to go back to, and what why we will get through this.

I was... A bit worried though. For a minute there, I almost thought those kids could see him, but I think they were just following our gaze and reactions when we noticed him standing in the back. Nothing to worry about.

I... Hope.  

2 comments:

  1. Hope is good! Gotta keep on hoping! Oh, and smiling too! Laughter is the very best medicine, and I think you'd agree now that you've seen how much better spending a day in happiness has made you feel!

    No situation is ever totally darkness. Remember to smile for all the good things in your life, even if you don't think you have many.

    Love,
    April ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't have done that. Nice show, by the way, the look on little backpack ginger girl's face when Carlos showed her, her card was heartwarming. I think you two made her day with that little trick.

    ReplyDelete